Tuesday 12 March 2013

Practical Brief / Alexander Rodchenko

This is my image in the style of historical photographer Alexander Rodchenko. The majority of his work was shot on black and white 35mm film. Due to time management issues on my part this image has been shot digitally using a Canon 30D. 

The subject matter is derived from Rodchenko's involvement with the Constructivist movement of the 1920s. It was an artistic/architectural movement that emphasised art as a practice for social purposes. Prominent themes within the movement include the body & the city, technology/machinery, architecture, science, politics and the workers. Constructivists often worked in black & white on a 2-dimensional picture plane, making use of geometric shapes, type, found images and graphic design.

With regards to composition, the image has been taken from an abstracting angle so as to be in keeping with Rodchenko's work. 

The majority of Rodchenko's architectural photographs feature a person which provides the viewer with a sense of scale and location. If I were to do the task again, I would include a person in my image. I did however find an example of Rodchenko's work (below) that supports my decision not to.  

Technical Details

-ISO 400
- 1/125
- f 8 

This is the image by Alexander Rodchenko that have used as a point of reference for my own work.

Image Reference

No comments:

Post a Comment