Monday 4 March 2013

Practical Brief / Crit

Here are my notes from the session regarding some of the things to consider whilst producing our final four images.

- Talk about shutter speed, depth of field etc.
- Crop to the same format.
- Think about the ISO you choose.
- Consider whether or not the use of post production is appropriate.
- Edward Weston used a plate camera - impractical - consider using medium format with a low ISO film for detail instead.
- Consider both the photographers intent and your own.

These are the two developmental images I presented during the session.


This image is intended to be in the style of Rodchenko. I focused on incorporating the following aspects of his work; black & white image, deviating photographic angles and the use of geometric shapes/patterns. During the session I received the following feedback. Consider including a person/people in my final image to give it more of a sense of location.


This image was intended to be in the style of Edward Weston. The only aspect of his work I considered for this image was the subject matter; vegetables. I chose to photograph a small piece of kale using a 180mm macro lens, the result being something quite grotesque in nature. This was picked up during the feedback session. Although i'd already decided it wasn't very in keeping with Weston's work it was suggested that I could get away with portraying something grotesque with enough justification as to why I had chosen to do so. Having reflected on this, I can see how one of Weston's deformed peppers for example could be interpreted as a grotesque object as opposed one of beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment