Tuesday 12 March 2013

Practical Brief / Edward Weston

This is my image in the style of historical photographer Edward Weston. The image has been shot digitally using a 30D. It was then cropped to 8x10 format in Photoshop to reflect Weston's use of a large plate camera. I also chose to shoot raw so as to capture some of the detail one would achieve using a large format camera.

The lighting consisted of a light either side of the subject. Both lights were set to 2.0 so that although flash was used, the lighting remained soft as opposed to harsh. 

The aspect of his work I considered most for this image was the subject matter; vegetables. I have photographed a small piece of kale using a 180mm macro lens. This lens was selected so that the detail and heightened texture present in Weston's photographs of vegetables could be emulated. 

With regards to post - production, the image was converted to black & white to emulate Weston's use of black and white film. The levels were also adjusted slightly to soften the tones within the image. 

I'd originally decided that this image wasn't very in keeping with Weston's work due to its grotesque nature. However, having looked at Weston's most famous pepper (below) in more detail I decided that it too was quite grotesque. 

Technical Details

-ISO 125
- 1/125
- f16

This is the image by Edward Weston that I used as a point of reference for my own work.


No comments:

Post a Comment